Wednesday, June 16, 2021

stocks

i invested about $1000 in the stock market (using robinhood) about a month ago. first i put in $500 and was soon up $20. then I put in another $500 and was up a total of $25, lol. but pretty soon tho I was up $80!!! and now, about 5 weeks in, I'm up $16. hahahhaha. what a ride. tho I didn't really invest to make money; I really just wanted to learn how to do it. and so far, I've learned a few things:

- buy a reasonable amount of shares in each company.
     I'm naturally cautious so I was buying like 3-5 stocks in each company regardless of their worth. well. 3 stocks at $3 doesn't do anything at all. now I invest about $50 or $100 in each company.

- decide how much you want to buy before you start clicking on stuff.
     prices can change in seconds, so know what you want before you click BUY since it'll take a few more clicks before your order actually goes thru. those seconds can matter. sucks when you realize you bought a stock for 15 cents more just because you wasted time on the buying page. 

- don't trade after market (at least on robinhood anyway)
     robinhood automates your aftermarket trades so it'll actually buy or sell when IT decides prices are right, not when you want.

- know that the biggest fluctuations are early in the day, so use that to your advantage.
     I don't know anything about market advantages, I mean personality advantages. if you like risk, trade within the first couple hours of the market opening. if you don't like risk, wait to later in the day.

- if you're not planning to day-trade (buying and selling the same stock in the same day, or within a very short time), there's no need to keep checking back on your investments. it'll just drive you crazy.

this rolls into the most important tip:
- know yourself
     1. know how much you can monetarily lose. go in thinking of your investment as a total loss. don't expect to make money, and don't invest more than you can throw away.
     2. know how much you can actually "mentally" lose. are you a person who always overthink things? probably best to not get into stocks. to the average person, there is no clear time to buy or sell and you'll end up making a bunch of "wrong" decisions. if you're going to be mad about all those decisions then do yourself a favor and don't bother investing cause you'll just be mad all the time.

something I haven't figured out yet. when to sell! obviously you should sell then prices are up, but.. how up? and way more importantly, if a stock is crashing, when should you sell then? since I've invested $50-$100 in each company, I'm willing to lose up to 20% in each. BUT I'm also in this for at least the end of the year so I'll probably wait until November and start selling slowly. 

1 comment:

Rip said...

With after market stuff RH usually tries to buy/sell at market open. You can use limits to control what you're willing/not willing to do.

Another factor about selling is taxes. If you pay income tax on what you sell eventually and you sell for the exact price you bought at, doesnt that mean you lose? Selling is confusing.