Thursday, May 6, 2021

lie better

in the last couple weeks I've had two people tell me blatantly incorrect things. 

1: last week I was on the phone with a time share salesman (my parents called me during their meeting and had him speak to me). my parents said two years ago they paid for product A with his company. he said they didn't. I asked if could print out a copy of the contract from two years ago so that I could review it when they got home. he said that they were not allowed a copy of their contract. ...I asked him to clarify. indeed, he said my parents were not allowed to have a copy of the contact they signed with his company. I said that made no legal sense, especially since they had a copy at home anyway. I asked if it wasn't instead that he didn't have access to it? he said no, they just couldn't have it. we would have to call a different number to get permission for them to get us a copy.

2: I was on the phone with my financial advisor whom I have never communicated with but with whom my parents have had a relationship for well over a decade. he manages two accounts under my name and has for many years. I'm finally wanting to start learning about financial markets and my investments, etc. so I emailed him last week, introduced myself, the situation, and asked 3 general questions about my accounts. he emailed back with a phone number inviting me to call him. I was annoyed cause, like, email is easier and I don't know much so this way I can go look terms and stuff up later. but fine, whatever, I'll call this time. a couple days ago my dad mentioned that he had talked to the financial advisor who said that he doesn't prefer to email with clients because his company reads all his emails. I said, that's fine. I don't want to be doing anything illegal, so I'm glad his company is reading our emails and screening for that sort of thing. 

today I get on phone with him and he says that he prefers phone calls, to which I said I prefer email because this way I can look stuff up later since I don't know anything about stocks, etc. he said that his company didn't allow for FAs to email with their clients about their accounts. ...what? he clarified that, yeah, his company doesn't allow FAs to email clients answering questions from clients about what their FA was doing with the money we pay them to manage. I asked if he could find that policy in writing and send that to me because that seemed super weird. he said that no, he wouldn't, but that I could switch FAs. I said, okay, I might, but if he could send me a copy of the policy anyway because if this is a company-wide policy I would be in the same position with the next FA anyway. I want to know what the rules are so I don't keep breaking them, you know? he said no, and that my new FA may or may not comply and send me the policy themselves.

we moved on. but later in the conversation he says that technically he shouldn't have ever signed me on because 1. he's never actually communicated directly with me, just my parents, and that 2. one of my accounts was too small for his company to handle. I put two and two together and realized THAT'S why he lied about this ridiculous "company policy" about emails. he later also mentioned later that he's old so isn't good at computers, doesn't like email, and has an assistant handle this type of thing.

WHY DO PEOPLE LIE ABOUT THE DUMBEST MOST OBVIOUS SHIT?! first, you should never assume that people are idiots and don't know basic fucking things. second, don't double down on your dumbshit lie when I ask you to clarify, when I repeat to you in an incredulous tone your own stupid words. like, backtrack man, I obviously don't believe you. you're just digging yourself into a deeper hole by cementing to me that you're a liar. 

is this what it's like now in our "post-truth" world? did donald trump and his constant and consistent denial of basic verifiable facts break people's brains leading them to think that this type of behavior is okay? well, it's fucking not, people, wth. 

No comments: