Monday, April 16, 2012

colorblind

in a sad / strange way though, simply not being white has made me a foreigner in my home country. when was the last time someone asked a american-accented white person where they were from? and if they did ask, in what sense did they mean it? people ask me about my nationality (because they're too stupid to know the difference between nationality and ethnicity), where i'm from, where i was born. it won't matter if my next five generations all never step foot outside of the states. my "offspring" five generations later will still be asked where they're from. no, like... where are their parents from? oh... more like... where were they from originally?

at what point will anyone of "color" (even blacks) be automatically seen as american?


this article isn't exactly related, but i did think of it when writing this post: some blacks insist "i'm not african-american"

No comments: