Tuesday, June 2, 2020

june 2020 donation

if you read my last post, you know that for june 2020 I donated to Equal Justice Initiative. there have been a ton of recent lists of Black Lives Matter groups to donate to, which was helpful tho I kind of randomly found this group on google. what cemented my decision is that they have a 100% rating on charitynavigator.org.

it's always a good idea to do some research into the group you want to donate to. and I know that a lot of people heavily weigh salary expenses when looking into non-profits, but you should be careful to find actual numbers rather than percentages (you can find this info on their 990 tax forms, which are public). for instance, about 30% of algalita's annual expenses goes to our staff of four, which sounds like a lot, but we all make under $65k a year before taxes. my annual take home pay is well under $40k, which is really not that high, especially when you figure that I have no medical or retirement benefits offered thru work.

relevant article from refinery29: How To Make Strategic & Impactful Donations, According To A Personal Finance Expert

No comments: