Wednesday, March 21, 2018

battle of the tp

living with people is interesting. it gives you good insight into, well, how people live! I share a bathroom with k, who is a student and a house cleaner. before I moved in I was warned that she may not be the cleanest. people don't like to go home to do more of what they do for work, you know? and yet I never would have thought it could be this bad.

- she regularly leaves stuff all over our bathroom floor, for days, maybe weeks: shoes, clothes, razors, hair products, scissors, etc. our counter has her stuff all over it, including her leaking toothpaste tubes. 

- she orders a lot of food thru uber eats and will once every couple months clean out her room. she'll have big trash bags full of takeout boxes, and leave a dozen plates and forks in our sink. trash bags will sit in the hallway, silverware in the sink, for a few days until she takes care of it. you can imagine what her shelf of the fridge looks like.

- she'll have people over and not clean up after them for weeks. half-filled cups, pillows on the ground, open wine bottles strewn around our living room.

there's more, but the "best" stories are about toilet paper, of course, lol.

I sleep at the apartment about 4 nights a week. she's there pretty much fulltime. last summer, we ran out of tp. I got back after the weekend, saw we had no tp (and was annoyed). thankfully I have tissue in my room (which I pettily did not share in the bathroom). before work I left a note on the counter saying i'd buy tp after work. I didn't go home that night. the next day I got back to the apartment and saw that she had left some fast food paper napkins on the counter. ...I refilled the tp.

she NEVER puts the tp back on the roller thing. I now tell people I think she has a phobia about it. i'm not going to ask because i'm almost positive it's just that she's too lazy and my story is just so much more entertaining. before I left for spain, a friend suggested I put the tp roller half in half out so that it would fall out when someone used tp. I did. I came back a week and a half later and the empty tp roller was on the ground with a half roll of tp on the counter. 

last saturday night I came home to an empty roll. I was annoyed since I was in spain for about 10 days before. also, we ran out on a weekend. I usually leave for work Friday morning and get back to the apartment Monday night so I wasn't even "supposed" to be there. anyway. I actually have like 2 dozen rolls in my closet but I can't fit more than 4 rolls under the sink (she has too much stuff in there). I was in the process of refilling it when I changed my mind. I mean, I wasn't supposed to be there, at least the last 4 rolls were "my" paper, and wtf was she planning to do in the meantime before I "got back" on Monday night? so I used Kleenex Saturday night, peed at work Sunday, and left without a note that night. I got back Monday late night and saw that she had taken paper towels from our kitchen (which she didn't buy; A buys those) to use as tp. ...this fucking girl is SO LAZY and WEIRD.

and while I'm definitely annoyed, my major emotion is amusement. seriously. what 30 year old can't remember to buy tp for days? who has to depend on their roommate who only lives there part-time? who can't be bothered, not once, to put the tp back on the roller? lol, omg, she's so strange! she complains all the time about how she's single. well, no wonder! what guy would stay with you after he's seen your room? I mean. sure, I live like this too since we share a bathroom. but my room is clean. I wash my dishes and throw out my trash within a reasonable amount of time. I have no food containers with mold in them. I clean up after guests and drain my glasses. sure, I can stand to live in unsanitary conditions but that obviously isn't my personal normal state. that being said, I do wonder what j thinks. what he thinks of me that I can live like this. I mean, it must say something about me that her laziness doesn't bother me so much that I feel like I have do something about it. when I first moved in, yeah, I cleaned our bathroom, emptied the trashcan, windexed the mirrors, ajaxed the sink, but now... I don't do any of that. I'll throw our bathmats and hand towel into the wash, and use draino every few months since she often doesn't use the hair catch, but I pretty much just let it be. what's the point? she doesn't keep our bathroom even baseline clean. I don't know. you do you; i'll do me. turns out i'm pretty serious about that. to a point that even surprises (and slightly disgusts) me.

No comments: