Saturday, February 4, 2012

booth babes

must watch video from bbc: "booth babes" stir controversy at 2012 ces

“I don’t know any women [interested in tech]. I don’t know any women that would choose the tech world over shopping or cooking or taking care of kids.”

...yes, i have zero interest in tech. in fact, you only think you're reading this blog post on the internet which i typed up on my computer for a site that i learned some html for just for fun. but in fact, a man breaks into my house twice a week and holds a gun to my head to force me to say things that he types up for a website of his making!

but seriously, i think it's incredibly stupid that sex still sells as much as it does. it's not only condescending to the women in tech (or in other 'mainstream' industries) (and to the women too damn stupid / apathetic to recognize that a booth babe is basically a whore), but it's insulting to men also. these companies are basically saying "we don't need to actually think about intelligent marketing, all we need are talking boobs for you to give us your life savings!"

2 comments:

Angeline said...

So true. My cousin was recently in Miami for a TV/film industry convention, and over dinner he was telling us about this show that was exhibiting a few booths down from his. They had two scantily clad women holding iPads streaming some footage from the show. He said they got a lot of foot traffic (mainly guys trying to talk to the girls), and the folks behind the show got some local news coverage, even though it sounded like a really stupid show. It seems like we should be evolving past the sex sells thing (the GoDaddy SuperBowl commercials remind me of this, too...they're worse and worse each year, even though GoDaddy is largely seen as providing poor service).

Every time I hear something about women not being interested in tech, I think of Women 2.0 and the awesome female brains behind it and reading it. A lot of it goes over my head, too, but women in tech can't be ignored for much longer.

step said...

in a way, these stupid sex adverts make women who were interested in tech, not want to be anymore. it would make me very uncomfortable to go to an industry show where women are pretty much just talking boobs. the industry is tell me that i'm not suitable, so is it any wonder we have fewer women in tech?