Sunday, February 19, 2012

bloody shame

yashar ali: if men had periods, women would all know about it (btw, i love it that the author is male)


this reminds me of that kotex commercial about covert tactics: "no one can see me with tampons." ha! i think it's weird that so many people are embarrassed by menstruation since every healthy fertile un-pregnant woman has them. i did the math once and figured that at any given moment 10% of the human population is bleeding out their vag. so why pretend it doesn't exist?

i haven't ever needed rip to buy me tampons but i asked him about it and he said that yeah, he would. (yay!!) then he immediately ruined it by saying:

rip: yea, if anyone asks id jus say i get crazy nosebleeds
Neurp: or you could just say your girlfriend has her period
rip: gross
Neurp: why? it's natural...
rip: yea but no one needs to know

tho honestly, this doesn't surprise me. i talk about my period all the time and i don't care if people are uncomfortable hearing about it. i sometimes say "i have cramps" but i'll more likely say "my uterus hurts." mostly because it's more specific. i could have leg cramps from running. anyway, rip once commented how weird it was i said that in public. he said the next time i did, he would make me stop by asking me detailed questions about it. i was very enthused to take him up on his little "dare". you can't shame me about my period. you want to know specifics? i'll bloody tell you and everyone who cares to eavesdrop.
 
women get their periods. that's life. and men who don't want children should be DAMN HAPPY every time their lady gets it. maybe happy to the point of telling their buddies that "hey! my girlfriend got her period today, drinks on me!"

2 comments:

Galen said...

I once helped a vagrant lady buy feminine hygiene products. She apparently had a hard time reading about the various different products. I hear the pads are also great for trauma. Sanitary and soaks up all the blood that is gushing out!

step said...

@galen aw, that's so nice of you! i usually stick with the same brand / product, but a couple years ago i thought i should try something different. i was in the aisle for 20 minutes freaking out over the 100s of choices.

i think it's the same with deodorant / toothpaste / shampoo / face wash...; the store should carry just like 5 kinds of each!