Wednesday, April 2, 2008

elderly

watched a bit of show on pbs tonight about people taking care of their elderly parents. besides the usual, it esp made me sad because i was thinking that when my parents are that old, their english will probably be really really bad (even if they don't get some disease that causes dementia, i'm sure some of their language skills will deteriorate). and who knows how bad my chinese will be by then? i'm lucky that we're here in so cal where so many mandarin speaking people live. if it came down to it, i should be able to find a pretty nice senior citizen home that has chinese speaking staff. but that's not good enough. i still won't be able to talk to my rents. :(

death cab for cutie - what sarah said
'in a place where we only say goodbye' / '‘cause there’s no comfort in the waiting room' / 'as each descending peak on the lcd took you a little farther away from me' / 'but i’m thinking of what sarah said: that love is watching someone die'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally relate. i really worry about my parents. sometimes my dad does things that really make me think he's losing it...

i.e. the u-turn he made that...there was still oncoming traffic..oncoming.

-he was going when we still had a red...our light didn't change, he just decided he wanted to go.

sigh.  its so scary. you never relate your parents with the old people you see in wheel chairs, racked with dementia...so scary.

how about i move to china, learn really really good mandarin (my mandarin seriously sucks arse right now.) and then...you can talk to me. and ill tell you to wear more girly clothes and to go see a fortune teller...