Sunday, December 30, 2007

clumsy

altho reep's sister took them to the airport when they left, i was to pick him and his dad up when they came home. so the plan was this, on thursday get to rip's house by 2pm and pick up his sister and drive to the airport. at around 1.50pm thursday i'm in my bathroom upstairs checking myself out one last time when i hear the street cleaning vehicle in the block before mine (i forgot they came on thursdays). i run down stairs wit my purse under my right arm and a book in my left hand. i push the garage door button as i run past and duck under the opening door to continue down the driveway. suddenly i fall.  completely.  i slide a couple inches, spread eagle, down the driveway. it f*cking hurts. i can't remember that last time i fell down. i've stumbled, of course. but fallen? no idea. i'm still thinking it hurts, when i look up and see the damn street sweeper starting down my block. i jump up, run to the car, and drive it into the garage.

i turn off the engine and radio and hear a really loud static noise (i think it's the street sweeper). i want to cry but can't. shock i guess. i check the time and realize that oh crap it's very nearly 2pm and i'm late. i run back in the house and up the stairs to my bathroom, blacking in and out all the way. roll up my pant legs, clean off my knees, slap on a bandaid, realize that the loud static noise is in my head, and check my right hip. it's bleeding. sorta badly. i clean it off a little, grab a few more bandaids, and run out the house.

i get to the car, empty the trunk and spot my chapstick on the driveway. i walk over and see that next to it is a two inch smear of my skin and blood on the stupid driveway. i am angry. i drive to reep's house.

as i'm waiting for his sister to come down. i carefully check my wounds. left knee: fine; no broken skin, but will be bruised. right knee: not so fine; dime sized abrasion on the outside bone. palms and knuckles: good; very slight nicks, only one tiny spot of blood. right hip: not fine; larger semi deep abrasion right on bone, one bandaid definitely not enough, actually bleeding (small drops). shoulders, face, everything else good. purse: good. book: not good. when i fell it opened up and it scraped against the driveway. actually have a largeish hole in a page, and small section of next page is also unreadable. many pages are bent and dirty. i just got this book for christmas! title? "stumbling on happiness" (btw, when i got the book, we all joked about the title and how fitting it was for me because i'm kind of a klutz.)

the day after i realize the full extent of my injuries. (will eventually post pictures) left knee has two rather angry bruises. right knee also bruised. bad place to get cut too, on the bone most protruding, so every time you walk it rubs against your pants (good thing it's winter!), so i'm limping a lot. hip, not bruised at all, but really rather deep scrape because it was right on the bone. and my left shoulder is actually bruised. there's no discoloration but it does ache.


reason for falling: i dunno. could be anything. 1) blacked out from when running from dark place (garage) into sunlight. 2) slipped on dusty driveway (they've been doing construction on my street, there is dirt and dust everywhere) 3) lost balance when ducking under door 4) i'm a clumsy fool.   i think it's a bit of everything. but i definitely did not trip. and btw, i think it was esp bad because i had no time to recover. i fell and had to get right back up again, which is why i think i had that crazy static noise in my head, which did eventually go away (after about 10 minutes). it was weird. anyway.

no moral of the story. :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the moral of the story is exercise is bad.