Thursday, January 27, 2005

foolish folly

when someone tells you that they no longer love you. the question that comes to mind isn't necessarily 'when did you stop?' it's 'did you ever really love me at all?' as if you expected thier love to last forever. but wat is love anyway? i used to define it as 'the willingness to sacrifice yourself.' but this definition of mine. you would not expect someone to always sacrifice themself for you, and yet you would expect them to always love you. so is it that my definition is wrong? no, i think it's quite good actually. so it must be then that the expectation of a lasting love that is mistaken. so where does this misinformation come from? why, the media of course (as all the problems in life stem from the media...). but perhaps it's also a bit of self-dillusion. after all, who wouldn't want someone else to always want to sacrifice themselves for them? but of course, you wouldn't want to forever want to sacrifice yourself for someone else. you'd want your partner's love to be so full that you would never have to sacrifice, because they would be forever willing to compromise for you. but that is also where the question of 'when did you stop?' comes from. 'when, why, did you? how could you? it's me. it's for me.' and therein lies the problem. selfishness is incompatable wit love.

'dear, i fear we're facing a problem, you love me no longer' 'so i cry, and i beg for you to say that you love me... go on and fool me... pretend that you love me... just say that you need me' 'i can't care 'bout anything but you... i don't care if you really care as long as you don't go'

No comments: